Monday, August 24, 2009

A Day of Firsts and Lasts

Today is the first day of school. Mascot, Sk8ter and I enjoyed breakfast at Chick-fil-A with our circle of friends to celebrate.

I ALWAYS take pictures of my kids on the first day of school. Each of them by themselves, then together. This is the last year I will be able to take a picture of them together since Mascot is a senior in high school.

This is the first year since 1997 that I have not walked a kid into school on the first day. Sk8ter started Middle School, and although I would have been happy to walk my baby in, it's just not cool to do that. Bad for a boy's image. I can respect that. I did have the pleasure of driving Sk8ter and three friends to middle school though.

This is the first year I haven't driven my daughter to school on the first day. She rode with a friend. Wow...I'm really growing up!

I am the only mom in my group of friends who no longer has kids in elementary school. This is the bond that brought us together, and for that I am so thankful. Our boys are in middle school together, but the daily social interaction between me and my friends will be limited now. This makes me a little sad, but not sad enough to hang out at the elementary. Let me just tell you, I'm glad those days are over. It was fun and all, but...

This is also the first year I haven't made my 'Things to do after school starts' list. Seriously, why bother?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and
i are both doing some adjusting :) Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I appreciate it. Take it from a kid who has sort of grown up.... no matter how old your children get, they still have a place no one can fill but you:) ~Max