Saturday, May 14, 2011

I Could Choose Not To Move, But I Refuse.


It’s Guatemala Eve. Finally.

For more than 5 months, I have been anticipating this part of the journey. The travel to Guatemala and the time spent in Guatemala. When I signed up for this trip, I could not wait until I saw what God did IN Guatemala. “What amazing things will you show me, God? How will you use me in the lives of these sweet angels?“ Well, let me just tell you…I haven’t left the USA yet, and God has already done some amazing things. I never imagined so much would be done BEFORE the trip.

I knew, pretty much instantly, that I was supposed to go on this mission trip. That whole “God spoke to me” thing happened, in my heart. The more mature I become spiritually, the better I hear Him. And the easier it is for me to obey. I sat on the idea of participating in this mission trip for a couple of days before I approached Jim. “My friend Ronne is leading a mission trip to Guatemala to work with orphans. I think I’m supposed to go.” I began asking my prayer warriors for help. God answered, “Go.”

I struggled, briefly, with the thought of soliciting help (my independent stubbornness).
I sent out letters asking for mission trip contributions and prayers. The response was overwhelming. One thing I have learned during this journey…people WANT to help. I have cried at the kindness and generosity of my friends and family.

There were times when I wondered how the financial end was going to come together. God answered, “I’ll take care of it.” In addition to the contributions, opportunities to earn extra money came for both me and Jim. Extra photography work for me. Extra part-time jobs for Jim. I even received an unexpected refund check from overpaying for an MRI last year. We will be able to buy a microwave for one of the orphanages, buy extra food and supplies AND sponsor a sweet angel for an entire year, thanks to the donations.

Several people contributed supplies. In fact, my suitcases (I have to bring 2) are so heavy, loaded with supplies, that I’m wondering if I’ll be able to manage them at baggage claim. This is a wonderful ‘problem’ to have. Yes?

I have asked for prayers all along this journey. My friends and family have been so supportive, offering up prayers every time I ask. This is where my peace comes from. I’ve struggled with distractions. Prayers fixed them. I’ve doubted my abilities. Prayers fixed that too.

What I’ve learned so far:
It’s OK to ask for help. By asking for help, we are able to do SO MUCH MORE!
How to receive help (which, for me, is equally as difficult as asking).
Leaning heavily on God. He has worked all of this out…every little detail.
What peace feels like. Regarding this trip, I have no reservations. No real concerns.
People are kind and generous. They want to help.
Prayer works and God shows up!


My husband has been so amazing during this journey. Thank you, my love, for working so hard to make this happen.

To everyone who has contributed money, supplies, prayers and support: ‘Thank you’ will never be enough to express my sincere gratitude to you. You have blessed me abundantly. I will pour those blessings out on the forgotten in Guatemala.

"I refuse to sit around and wait for someone else to do what God has called me to do myself.  I could choose not to move, but I refuse."


If God is talking to you, whispering gently or giving you big 'in your face' signs, listen to him.  I dare you to move.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We're sitting in the hotel in Guatemala City, working on the last minute details before you arrive tomorrow. And rejoicing with you. Wow - God is good and you are greatly loved.

Thanks to everyone who has been part of this journey thus far. Here's to the road ahead!

xoxo

Ronne

Unknown said...

I am blessed to learn, through you, lessons of God's mercy and grace. You are loved!