Thursday, August 26, 2010

Lessons I Teach Myself While Parenting My Children

I started working out (again) this week.  I really don't enjoy exercise, but I know I have to do it to reach certain goals, including weight loss and a healthy body.  sigh.

My plan is to do 3 miles on the elliptical several times a week.  So far, so good.

Today was day 3 and I was in no mood for it, but I sucked it up and did it anyway.  Not long after mile 1, my mind and body were done.  D-O-N-E.  My playlist sucked.  The TV on the elliptical was all fuzzy and getting on my nerves.  And somebody in that room stunk! 

But there was no way I could stop. 

For the last 3 days, I have been trying to teach my son that in order to get certain results, sometimes (most of the time) we have to work hard.  Really, really hard.

He started football for the first time this year.  And he was looking forward to it.  But...the practices have been long and difficult.  There was even puking involved.  (ack!)  

There have been many early morning and late night pep talks going on around here.  Trying to help him understand that to be good at football, he is going to have to do the hard work, as suckish as it may be.  "Eventually, your body will become used to the hard work and it won't seem so hard."  I broke it down into smaller, more manageable pieces for him.  At least every 25 minutes, they are given a water break.  "All you have to do is remember that you won't have to go longer than 25 minutes, then you get a break." 

Eventually, my body will become used to exercise and won't hate me every time I do it.  All I have to do is make it one. mile. at. a. time.  Revamp my playlist.  And make sure I choose a machine with a properly working TV.  Unfortunately, there's not much I can do about stinky workout neighbors.  (gag)




KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON!






My name is Amy.  I travel 3 miles and get NOWHERE!

No comments: