Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thanks And Giving


November always brings campaigns to help the less fortunate.  (side rant ~ I feel the focus is usually on 'financially' less fortunate.  But we should not limit our help to monetary.  There are lots of hurting people and it has nothing to do with money.)  And while I believe these campaigns to be a wonderful thing, it makes me curious as to why we don't really pay attention to people's needs ALL YEAR LONG.  I am guilty myself, and I am not proud of it.

The current influx of nudges to help worked.  I had been thinking of ways I could bless someone else.  The list is infinite and a little overwhelming for my perfectionist-procrastination brain.  sigh. 

Yesterday, while visiting the local superstore, God presented me with 2 opportunities.  'In my face, don't miss these' opportunities.  It was divine.  And scary.

I had to step out of my comfort zone to seize these opportunities.  (Remind me to tell you the story of being rejected while trying to give.  Now THAT was a learning experience!)  I stepped out in faith.  "How much faith does it take to help someone?" you may be asking.  Sometimes...a lot.  I had to make sure my heart was in the right place.   The WHY.  I had to make sure I was gentle and not demeaning.  The HOW.  I had to overcome my fear of totally screwing up.  The WHAT IFs. 

What happened was nothing less than spectacular.  And by this, I don't mean there were fireworks, a parade, and a 'look what I did' celebration.  My help was well received and there were very special moments between 6 people which left everyone blessed.  See, that's an amazing facet of sharing God's love.  In giving, I was blessed.   And the impact of this experience will resonate for a very long time for each of us.

Thanks and Giving.  I challenge you to both.  Year round.

Be thankful for what you have.  Share it with others.

No comments: