Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Changing Lanes

If there are two lanes travelling in each direction, I tend to drive in the right (outside) lane if the opposing directions are not separated by a turn lane or a median.  I have this fear that some vehicle traveling in the opposite direction will veer into my lane and crash into me.  It's not a completely unfounded fear, ya' know.  (Working at the police department made me afraid aware of much more than I ever was before.)

A road I travel regularly is in really poor condition with potholes and uneven surfaces and I complain about it (to myself or my passengers) frequently.  It beats the heck out of my truck and cannot be good for the tires.  Cha ching!

Today, I decided to live in the 'danger zone' (insert Kenny Loggins tune here).  While travelling on this road, I changed lanes.  Into the left (inside) lane.  And there was no separation between me and the opposing direction.  It was unnerving.  And uncomfortable.  AND I LIVED TO TELL ABOUT IT!

But you know what else?  The left lane was much smoother than the right lane.  There were fewer potholes and my truck...ahhh, my truck breathed a sigh of relief. 

So here's what I learned today:  Even though I was afraid to travel in the unfamiliar and sometimes scary lane, I did it successfully and my journey was so much smoother.

Hmmm...I wonder where else I can 'change lanes' in my life.



No comments: