Thursday, January 6, 2011

Customer Service: Zap!

So today I went for my second (of six) treatment of laser hair removal under my arms.  I don't have an excessive amount of underarm hair (for all you funny people out there).  Six treatments is standard.

And just for the record, the reason I'm doing this has less to do with vanity and more to do with laziness.  (Did I really just admit to that?)

Moving on...

My appointment was at 11:00 this morning.  I arrived on time.  Shortly after I arrived, another lady showed up.  I'll call her LadyWhoseTimeIsMoreImportantThanEverybodyElse's.  Or Blondie, for short.  At 11:20 Blondie asked what time my appointment was and then let out one of those looong, heavy, passive-aggressive sighs.  Then she went to the counter and asked, "Are they running behind?" (see, there is such thing as a stupid question) "This lady's appointment is at 11 (points to me) and mine is at 11:15.  I can't be sitting here all day.  I have kids to pick up." 
After she sat back down, on my way to the restroom I passed the counter and whispered, "Just so you know, I didn't complain."  Because I didn't want the nice people behind the counter thinking I was upset.  I don't need other people speaking for me.

While in the restroom, (3 minutes, tops) guess what?  BLONDIE WAS TAKEN BACK FOR HER APPOINTMENT.

Seriously.

I kid you not.

OK, then I got upset.  I told the sweet girl behind the counter, in a calm and respectful way, that I didn't think that was right.  I found out the tech made the decision because I was in the restroom and because Blondie had kids to pick up from school.  Then I found out the name of the person in charge of the office.

When Blondie finished her appointment, she thanked me for her getting to before me.  To which I replied, "Nobody asked me." 

"I don't like it when other people think their time is more important than everybody else's."

I said that.  Out Loud.

Yikes!

The tech called me back and I proceeded to tell her, calmly and respectfully, that I did not appreciate what she had done and I didn't think it was fair.  She apologized, but not sincerely.  I mean...what else was she going to do at that point?  And what else was I going to do at that point?  This lady was about to shoot me with a laser...I had to be careful.

On the way out the door, I saw a lady in the parking lot headed into the spa.  She looked important and 'in charge'.  I confirmed that she was the office manager and proceeded to tell her my story.  I also commended the staff and told her that I believe the tech did a good job.  She was VERY apologetic and agreed that the tech should not have done that.  She was thankful for the input, as she is trying to make that business a good one.  Then she offered me a free facial.

I wasn't looking for some kind of freebie.  I felt it was necessary to let her know what happened so she could try and make sure it didn't happen again.  I want to be able to tell my curious friends about what a great experience this has been.

Well, except that it feels like my armpits are being popped with rubber bands during the treatment.  Yowza!

There's right way and a wrong way to handle these kinds of situations.  I covered both on this one.

No comments: